Sunday, February 11, 2018

Top 50 BBQ Challenge Completed!

It's been quite the journey!  From October 2017 through February 2018 I hit the road to taste great BBQ and explore more in my resident state of Texas!  My travels took me all over Austin and the Texas Hill Country, through pine tree forests and friendly towns in East Texas, along the palm treed highways of South Texas, and across the windmill strewn plains, cotton fields and canyons in West Texas and the Panhandle.  


[Blue = BBQ places visited, Red = sights visited]

My Adventures included:
  • Visiting 48 of the "Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ" places (2017 issue)
  • Photographing 5 Texas courthouses: Ellis County - Waxahachie, Potter County - Amarillo, Randall County - Canyon, Harriosn County - Marshall, Mills County - Goldthwaite

  • Exploring 7 state parks / nature reserves: Palo Duro Canyon SP, Lake Whitney SP, Lake Corpus Cristi SP, Resaca De La Palma SP, Longhorn Cavern SP, Sabal Palm Santurary and Buffalo Lake National Wildlife Reserve
  • Sight-seeing:
    • Amarillo's Route 66 and Cadillac Ranch
    • Lubbock's Buddy Holly Center and Prairie Dog Town
    • The East Texas towns of Jefferson with its Louisiana influences and charming Tyler with its historic houses and Kiepersol vineyards.
    • The South Texas town of Harlingen and its historic downtown area and murals
    • Houston's Rice University, Bayou Bend Gardens, and Discovery Green
    • Dallas' Pioneer Square and Cattle Drive Sculptures
    • Fort Worth Botanical Gardens


What did I get out it?  Well I learned a LOT about Texas BBQ!  I have a deeper appreciation for Texas and its varied landscapes, big cities and small towns, history, agriculture & industries.  I met some of the nicest people around.  Y'all, most importantly I had fun!


Oh yeah, and I received some cool Yeti prizes (tank 45 not pictured) and Tyler's BBQ (my last passport stop) swag.  *smile*























Below is the list of where I visited, with my Favorites highlighted in gold and Runner-ups highlighted in peach, along with my recommendation on "must try" items. Everyone has their own opinions; that's one thing that becomes very obvious when you are comparing notes with other BBQ enthusiasts. So I expect you to disagree with some of my choices, and I hope you feel the desire to visit some places new-to-you and maybe create your own BBQ challenge.....send me your own "Top 10" list!


Happy Eating and Exploring, My Friends!
😃 Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment