Sunday, January 21, 2018

Vera's Backyard Bar-B-Que

Visited Sunday 1/21, 9:30 am

What I ordered: cachete taco w/verde salsa

My take: it was my first experience with barbacoa and to be honest it wasn't my thing (however, judging by the couple's ooohs and awes, who are experienced with this kind of meat, it probably deserves its accolades), it was too fatty, rich and "textured" for my taste.  Tacos are generously sized, and the wonderfully delicious floppy, warmed (lightly salted) tortilla is a treat all by itself, as is the excellent house-made tomatillas-avocado-lime verde salsa 

The place: the hands-on owner, Mando, is patient (and I'm guessing experienced) dealing with Passport toting gringos....and he was fine with letting me order a solo taco (previously he didn't sell individual tacos, just barbacoa by the pound and packets of tortillas)

Pro Tip: if you're a barbacoa newbie, the cachete is the leanest meat and should be your first to try (vs. the lengua, ojos or mixta)



No comments:

Post a Comment